Saturday, February 2, 2008

Birds and Bees and Bonds

Saturdays are usually slower around here (proof that there is a God), and we often begin the day with the paper and several cups of coffee. This morning, Ben joined us, although he drank peppermint tea.

I glanced at yet another headline about the economy going down the tubes. These things worry me, and not just because we rely a lot around here on money.

"Ben, you know all these stories in the news about the recession?

"Yeah?"

"I know they're scary. But the economy's basically been in good shape since you were born. Daddy and I have been around long enough to know that--"

"I know, I know -- every 10 years or so we have a recession."

"Right," I said. "These things come in cycles. Things may be bad now, but they'll get better."

Ben looked at me like I was both precious and clueless. "Aww, we're having 'the talk,' aren't we? 'When a Mommy and Daddy's assets get together and lose value, it's a recession.'"

In his best fatherly voice, Bob chimed in. "That's right. So you need to be sure to practice safe consumerism."

3 comments:

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

So funny to think about how much my conversations will change with my children throughout the years. Quite frankly, the teenage years make me a little anxious, so I choose not to think about them. I look forward to checking in and learning some of the how-to's from you.

Anonymous said...

This is hysterical! I agree with Gray Matters. I'm still trying to explain to my little guys the difference between "the brown coins, and the Mommy, Daddy, and baby silver ones."

Anonymous said...

Heh!!